How Accurate Language About Sexual Assault Supports Victims in the Criminal Justice System
This module will enable victim advocates to:
- Understand how the language used to describe sexual violence shapes perceptions of the harm to victims and the culpability of offenders.
- Recognize and avoid using the language of consensual sex to describe sexual violence.
- Recognize and avoid using language that creates the “invisible perpetrator” and minimizes the violence.
- Recognize and avoid using victim-blaming language.
- Educate the media when they misuse language in articles about sexual violence.
- Educate colleagues and other criminal justice professionals about the importance of accurate language when talking and writing about sexual violence.